Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Why Mary?


“And Mary said, "Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her.” (Luke 1:38 ESV). Gabriel was sent by God to a virgin, whose name was Mary, to tell her that she would conceive and bear a son who was to be named Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the most high God. My friend, and gifted Bible teacher and preacher, Wayne Dishman, posed the following question to our Sunday school class: “Why did God choose Mary?”

Gabriel greeted her with, “Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!” (Verse 26) Why did Mary find favor with God that led him to choose her? First, it was her child like Faith. Mary asked Gabriel how she could conceive since she was a virgin. He explained that nothing is impossible with God. Then in childlike faith Mary responds with, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” (Verse 38)

Second, was her humility (Luke 1:46-48). The disciples came to asked Jesus who was the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me,” (Matthew 18:3-5 ESV). Humility is required to receive God and since Mary had a humble spirit she received God through conception, to give birth to Jesus.

Third, was her preparation. As a child Mary had been taught the prophecies about the coming of the Messiah and now with this encounter with Gabriel, she knew God had chosen her and breaks out in a song of praise: “. . . My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation.” (Luke 1:46-50 ESV).

How did Mary come to have the qualities mentioned above? I believe that according to his plan, God chose Mary and developed her to be the person he would enter as the seed of God to enable him to enter the human race, according to prophecy, to provide our redemption. A virgin birth was required because a virgin birth implies God is the Father of the child and thus born without sin. Yes, all things are possible with God.

Prayer

Father, what a beautiful parallel our spiritual birth is to the physical birth of Jesus. You chose Mary and she conceived as the seed of God was placed in her and she bore Jesus. You chose us and place an imperishable seed within us and a new creature is conceived and in due time we are born spiritually. Our salvation is truly intentional on your part and for that I am eternity thankful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment