Thursday, August 25, 2016

Lamentations 3:22 - 23


“The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” (Lamentations 3:22-23 ESV). According to Jewish tradition, the book of Lamentations was written by the prophet Jeremiah. He describes the condition of the forsaken city of Jerusalem, which had been burnt to the ground and utterly demolished by the Babylonians in 586 BC, in contrast to the magnificent splendor that it once possessed. God allowed this destruction as a form of chastisement because of disobedience by the people of Judah. The reason for God's chastisement on the people of Judah and on the city of Jerusalem are spelled out in the form of an appeal made to God to remember the great suffering of his people and to take vengeance upon the conquerors of His city and the people of Judah.

In this context of disobedience resulting in suffering, we find hope in the Lord because of his love, mercies and faithfulness. His love is described as being steadfast; it is fixed in place, is reliable and can be depended upon. No matter what sin I commit I know it will not change his love for me. His mercies are described as never coming to an end or running out. The sin I commit will result in consequences, but his mercy will never be withdrawn as it is continually renewed each day. His faithfulness is great toward me; I know I can always count on his support. When going through difficult trials and he seems to not be there with me, I know that he has not left me and in his time he will provide.

Prayer

Lord, thank you that your steadfast love never ceases, that your mercies never come to an end, and that your faithfulness is great. We really deserve justice, but out of love that defies comprehension you have saved us and continue with us when we act unbecomingly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment