Sunday, July 17, 2016

2 Timothy 2:15


“Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.” (2 Timothy 2:15 NASB). We find this verse nestled between two verses about the words we speak. In verse 14, we are solemnly charged “not to wrangle about words, which is useless and leads to the ruin of heaters.” In verse 16, we are told to “avoid worldly and empty chatter, for it will lead to further ungodliness.” Between these two verses is the command to know the word of truth so like a skilled workman using his tools, we can accurately apply it to our lives and the lives of others thus gaining the approval of God. Without gaining this skill with God’s word we risk the chance of standing before God in shame.

Two important areas of application of the word of truth are found in the following verses: "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:12-13 ESV) and “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:19-20 ESV). The first application relates to our salvation and should be taken seriously. With fear and trembling we are to work with God in our spiritual growth with the purpose in mind of becoming conformed into the image of Jesus Christ (Romans 8:29). The second application relates to others in the search for and spiritual growth of lost sheep. The word of truth is to be proclaimed to the lost to find those who would become part of the body of Christ and as they do we are to encourage their spiritual growth, to help them work out their salvation. When our time on earth is done and we stand before God, will we hear well done faithful servant or will we experience shame?

Prayer

Father, since the day I was born again I have had a love for your word and a growing desire to study and proclaim it. That is why I love to write these blog entries. Since I no longer travel to China to teach Bible, you have given me the opportunity to share these studies with readers around the world. I pray that I will be diligent to present myself approved to you as a workman who does not need to be ashamed because I can accurately handle the word of truth. I pray the Holy Spirit will protect me from ever deviating from the truth and being guilty of misleading someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment