Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Philippians 4:13


“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13 NKJV). Here is another verse if taken out of its content and applied literally is false. It is essential that we consider the context to determine the range of “all things”; that which we “do” in union with Jesus Christ. Jesus said: “I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5 ESV). Now we can narrow down the “all things” to those things we can't do apart from Christ.

Going back to the context of our verse, we find Paul confined in prison, but yet he displays peace, joy and thanksgiving and he is not anxious even about his possible execution. In spite of being persecuted his thoughts are focused on things that are good and not on the need of justice for the evil brought against him. He is content to live under any condition, whether in poverty or affluence. He is able to love and forgive those who are determined to do him harm. From this we see that “all things” relate to righteous and holy living. Through our verse, Paul is saying he can do all things, through Christ, that are necessary for godly living in spite of his living conditions and circumstances. For example, in countries where there is severe persecution, Christians can and are willing to pay any price for their faith, even stand in the face of death because it is Christ that strengthens them.

Prayer

Father, as I was thinking about this prayer, my thought went from “do all things” to “am I willing to do those things I should do”, like sharing my faith even if it will cost me? There are those tragedies of life I face and there are things You asks me to do. Either may require strength beyond my own and thus the promise of our verse. Father, help me learn to lean more on the Lord’s strength to accomplish those things I can't or shouldn’t try to do on my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment