Thursday, September 22, 2016

Psalm 119:9 - 11


“How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word. Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You.” (Psalms 119:9, 11 NASB). These are two of many verses I memorized many years ago when I was a college student. As a young man I needed direction for my life and I found the word to provide that direction.

I became a believer 65 years ago at the age of 15 and immediately fell in love with the word and have either read it or studied it on a daily basis since. I love to write Bible lessons and teach the Bible to whoever wants to learn. The time I have spent with the word has been the best investment of time because of great returns. Over many years of life, I have learned the importance of knowing the word and living by it. I also have observed the trouble many believers have gotten into who have not lived by the word.

To treasure the word in one's heart means you have assigned great value to it and are willing to lay aside other time consuming activities to gain more insight about God and how to live. A verse that applies very well here is found at 2 Timothy 2:15 (NASB): “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.” Can you accurately handle the word of truth and use it to build up the body of Christ? Are you doing that or living for yourself? See notes on this verse.

Prayer

Father, how I love your word; I love to study it; I find it so nourishing. From it I have learned about you and your plan of salvation and how to live in fellowship with you and others as a believer. I have learned the importance of obedience and what to obey. I have learned about life and how to live regardless of what I experience. From it I have learned about love and worship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment