Saturday, October 8, 2016

Luke 9:23


“And he said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.”” (Luke 9:23 ESV). Our verse today begins a section of Scripture about the cross we are to take up and carry if we are followers of Jesus. I don't believe very many believers in the western church embrace this verse and apply it to their lives. This verse lists three things we are to do if we are to follow Jesus. First, we are to deny ourselves of those things our sinful flesh desires for our own pleasure and comfort; what we have and do is not to interfere with our walk with the Lord.

Second, we are to take up his cross every day, not just on certain days. Bearing his cross daily implies that we are dying to self-daily. We are living out Philippians 1:21 (ESV): “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” It is also walking daily, by faith, Galatians 2:20 (ESV): “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
Third, we are to follow him no matter where he goes. I planned to retire and enjoy life in Arizona, but he asked me to follow him to Texas and then from there to make 17 trips to China over the next eight years to teach Bible. Now the Lord and I sit together in front of computer screens writing Bible studies that are being read in many different parts of the world. These 15 years since retirement have not been according to my plans, but what a blessing it has been following him. For some, following him means much suffering, even physical death, but that suffering and death can be a very powerful witness, bearing much fruit to the glory of God.

Prayer

Father, a life of sacrifice in serving you provides a life of meaning, blessing and joy. As I study the Scriptures I have come to realize that I am not here on vacation waiting for my time to go to heaven, but rather I am here on assignment to do kingdom work. As a child growing up on the farm, I had hard work to do every day, but it was a good life working with my dad. I am a child of God and working with you, my Father, is truly a great blessing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment