Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Jeremiah 9:23 - 24


"Thus says the Lord:" is something we need to carefully consider. The topic is about a wise person. First God tells us what a wise man is not to do. He is not to boast in his wisdom because if he does it proves he is not wise, but proud. As a mighty man, a man who avoids the snares of the world and is strong in the things of the Lord, he is not to boast in his might but to use his might to benefit others. If he is rich in the things of the world or the things of God he should not boast in that either but to use those riches to benefit others. Any boasting is pride and before ones fall comes pride. However, if one is going to boast it must be in the form of understanding and knowing the Lord and expressed in such a way that it makes clear the desires of the Lord and if we are to please him we are to practice steadfast love, justice, and righteousness, which he desires. As a wise person our boasting is to focus on the Lord and live out his desires.

Prayer

Father, I pray that by my conduct my works will show the meekness of wisdom, that I am a man of understanding. I pray that I would not be guilty of bitter jealousy or selfish ambition in my heart, that my speech would not be false to the truth. I pray that I would have wisdom that comes down from above, a wisdom that is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. O Lord, I pray that my life will yield a harvest of righteousness. (From James 3:13 - 18) 

No comments:

Post a Comment