Thursday, January 12, 2017

Be Servants


“It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Matthew 20:26-28 ESV). The mother of two of the disciples came to Jesus and asked if they could sit, one on his left and one on his right, in his kingdom. This provided Jesus with an opportunity to point out that a position of power is not as important as the humility of a servant.

Jesus, as the Son of God, spoke the universe into existence, but yet he came into his creation, to earth, as a humble servant. He did not come as a powerful political figure, but one who would bear the shame of the cross and die for our salvation. If God, the most powerful agent in existence can humble himself to that extent, then we, as his children, must be willing and committed to the role of servant, which in his kingdom is a position of power and greatness.

Prayer

Father, how difficult it is to walk in humility when the flesh wants the attention of others. Father, how important Galatians 2:20 is in this walk: “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (ESV). The only way that I can walk in humility is to die too self so that Jesus can live in me. He's is the key that opens the way to walk in humility as a servant with joy and peace.

See "The Commands of Jesus" Index to view other commands.

No comments:

Post a Comment