Monday, March 14, 2016

John 20:21


Jesus came to portray the Father to the world and as children of the Father, Jesus sends us out into the world to also portray the Father. We are to study the life of Jesus and learn from him how to represent the Father in how we live. Paul gives us an example of this. Paul became such an accurate picture of Jesus that he could say, "Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ" (1 Corinthians 11:1). As I am crucified with Christ and allow him to live his life through me (Galatians 2:20), I become more like him and as he lives his life through me I present to the world a portray of the Father. As Christians, our job, like that of Jesus, is to make the Father known to the world through the person of his Son, Jesus, by the kind of life we live.

Prayer

Father, this verse tells us that Jesus is sending us out into the world, but there appears to be a lack of obedience on our part. I believe we are encumbered by the idols of safety and comfort. It seems that in the western church it is more important to remain safe and comfortable that it is to obey this command given by Jesus. In non-western countries where normal living conditions do not include safety or comfort, Christians seem willing to be obedient, even to the point of death. Father, this concerns me because each one of us must stand before the judgment seat of Christ and have our works tested. It would seem that this would strike fear in our hearts, but I don't think many Christians are aware of this coming event in their lives. Father, we sure need your mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment